On this day in 1921, the charter of McMurry College in Abilene was signed. The college was founded in 1920 when the Northwest Texas Conference of the United Methodist Church voted to establish a college in Abilene. Abilene was appealing because it offerd money, land, free water and streetcar connections. The college was named for Bishop William McMurry. It opened in September 1923. James Winfred Hunt was its first president and founder. McMurry College changed its name to McMurry University in 1990.
On this day in 1945, national media attention was focused on the small community in eastern Dallas County that was previously known as Thin Gravy, Texas, among other names, such as Deanville, North Mesquite, and Mesquite Tap. However, in 1945 its 200 residents voted to adopt the name of new president Harry S. Truman, and called it Truman, Texas.